Tuesday, March 13, 2012

#17 Marley Goes to School

Marley Goes to School
Author: Joe Grogan
Illustrator: Richard Cowdrey
Harper Collins     2009
32 Pages

Traditional

     I chose this book because I have a black laborador and I absolutely love that breed of dog. Their huge feet and long tongues, even as a puppy, are hilarious. Just after I ran across this book and thumbed through it, memories of Ace being a puppy rushed back to me. He was always knocking things over, getting tangled into everything, and looking for adventure. I miss when he was a puppy.
          Marley's pet, Cassie, was starting to school and was getting her supplies ready for class. Marley wanted to go but was not allowed; instead he was only allowed to stay in the back yard to avoid trouble. After Cassie's mom, dad, and baby brother left to walk her to school, Marley dug out of the fence and followed their scent to the school. It wasn't long before Marley got into lots of trouble at the school. He finally ran to Cassie and the family go him back.
          The mediums are not listed for these illustrations, but they look like there are oil pastels used. The colors are rich and the shadowing is realistic.
          I think this would be a good book for any grade up to third grade. Most children like dogs and other animals, so I believe that this adventurous story would really entertain them and keep them laughing.
          I imagine this being a good book to pull word works from. It would also be good to read aloud and then discuss parts of speech from some of the passages.

No comments:

Post a Comment